First, the details
1. Topic: World War 1
What were the foundational causes to the war, what led to U.S. involvement in the war, and what effect has it had on the United States?
Pre-Reading: Handout One
Optional Reading: Handout Two (5.1 Mb)
In-session Handout (names, terms, bibliography, etc.): Handout 1 (Word Doc)
Pre/Post Quiz and Writing Assessment questions: Download (Word Doc)
2. Dr. Pugach, professor emeritus of history from the University of New Mexico.
3. 9 Members of TAH (plus Dr. Miller, history content specialist; Hart Pierce, evaluator; and yours truly)
A few of Dr. Pugach’s statements as he set the stage for the workshop.
- “Wars transform our lives, particulary because they change technology.”
- “We are the only nation that came out more powerful.”
- “Wars have unintended consequences.”
- “War War 1 produced a very bitter Adolph Hitler.”
- “Wars have results, and sometimes not the result nations hope for.”
- “The old rules of war went by the wayside.”
Third, setting the mood
“Over There”: the “theme song” for American involvement in WW-I
Fourth, more photos
(Yes, I realize that I’m a lousy photographer.)
Don’t you wish you were here?
Stay tuned for events in the spring semester. We’ll have another 2-day institute, plus an additional event–both just for TAH participants. If you wish to be invited, join the “TAH 50“